Sunday, January 24, 2010

January

Small balls of ice are falling from the sky. They cover the high school football field in a white layer. I sit in the car in the school parking lot, huddled against the cold, unable to see through the windows more than a few yards. Suddenly young men and women run yelling, calling, past me. No jackets, racing through the sleet. They scream joyfully, slipping and sliding across the field on the ice. Throwing ice balls. The heavy wetness pours on them. Escaped from the warm class rooms into the frigid wetness. What happiness. If only first semester final exams and SAT exams didn't interrupt January pleasure.

Government grant proposals. 8 copies of each page on hole punched paper, thank you, trees and forests. Double spaced. 3,498 characters, no more! Incomplete proposals will not be considered. Proposals submitted after 3, 4, 5 will not be considered. Provide SASE if you want your work samples returned. Online submissions only. Drop off submissions only. Postmark deadline only. No coffee stains, please.

Why isn't this student attending school? Oh, didn't you know? He transferred out to a program in cosmetology. She transferred out for emotional reasons; her brother was shot and killed. Oh, his father wants him to attend a continuation school so that he can graduate faster. Oh, she moved away from home and we don't know where she is. Oh. Oh. Oh. "But it's only a few weeks just to finish the semester. Can't she / he just finish up the semester and get it completed?" "I guess not...i couldn't reach him/her to get all the facts...."

Ms. Susannah, remember me from last year? When are you coming to our class? umm.. not sure (the funding?).... Ms Susannah, can you come and help me with my day care job at.. Ms Susannah, we need a youth development program here, but our funding is almost non existent... Susannah, let me know how much that performance pays. I have to figure out if I can take off my job that day to perform... . Susannah, I hear you know this student really well, she's failing Spanish and not showing up, can you talk to her? Grades are due, please read the following information guide on how to add up students' points. Susannah, can you do another free performance for us in February? March? April? May? June? Susannah, can you have coffee next week to talk about providing a workshop for us-- sorry our funding got cut. Susannah, can you produce my play, it's great!? Susannah, sorry I can't work with Opera Piccola, I have to take a full time job..

January. Non profit arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment