Sunday, February 21, 2010

Black History Month

At Oakland Technical High School, where I teach Chorus and Drama through Opera Piccola, we had an amazing Black History assembly on Friday. This whole month in classes so many things have connected to this theme-- even when not initially planned to do so. Setting aside a whole month gives expanded space, opportunity and time.

I asked students of all ethnicities in my classes (African American, Chinese, Filipino, White, Latino) to say what Black History Month means to them. They all agreed. "It's about struggle and overcoming. ... thinking about our ancestors and the heroes who went before us...... to stop racism and hatred...... to try our best now because of what they did."

Music Teacher David Byrd: "What I love is that we accept as part of us anyone who has experienced oppression. I want people to know there are Black people all over the world--India, Middle East, Asia, Europe, Cuba, everywhere-- so I have students learn Brazilian jazz this month."

No comments:

Post a Comment