Monday, May 10, 2010

Spring Sprint

The mad dash to the end of school. The mad dash to the end of the fiscal year. The mad dash to close the books, plan next year, complete projects in the schools, celebrate, cajole, perform, write, submit grades, attend meetings, make props, send fliers, add, subtract, phone, fax, copy, staple, email, tweet, drive, load in/out, shop, respond to family complaints about why you're so busy; it's Non Profit Arts and Education!

Of course in the back of my mind is the global context, which could be named Bleak House. School principals are cutting their budgets. Grant makers' funds have shrunk. Costs go up, income goes down. Lay offs. Global warming and war exhaust the news.

But it's spring and the flowers are out. Last week the sun started to turn up the Bleak House lights, just a little. Metaphors turned over, and suddenly we saw the words of our students filling the proverbial glass to more than half full.

"Little did I know that although it was extremely short, (your summer program) would be a life changing moment for me – someone who lacked inspiration and passion in life other than indulging myself into eating, watching television and imagining myself living in different time periods. Opera Piccola made me see the world and people through a new perspective. Many thanks to the Opera Piccola program for giving me this opportunity to explore dance and trigger my passion and meaning for life!" ~Meisze Phung

"Opera Piccola saved my life. I was almost kicked out of school and really troubled You really believed in me ... you let me know that I made a huge difference to the company with the work I was doing." ~Graduate of our high school and intern program

"I'm still doing what got me started with you when i was just a little kid who wanted to be in the little play at middle school." ~Kenneth Foreman

No comments:

Post a Comment