Sunday, June 27, 2010

Turnover

June. A time for endings and new beginnings. Summer solstice turns spring into summer. Graduations and weddings. School year ends, non profit fiscal year ends. Boxes and suitcases are packed to leave one place and move to another. Many teachers are laid off, many leave the profession for other fields. Hopeful new teachers start credentialing programs.

This month, I packed up my students' folders, my teaching materials, my keyboard, snack supplies, pens, containers. I cleaned out my tiny cubicle “office” at Oakland Tech High School. I went back and forth in the heat, past forgotten text books and pencils on the floor, and loaded everything into my stuffed car. I said goodbye to my favorite colleagues and to my students, and drove through the gate with mixed sadness and relief. At home, I went through my folders for Elmhurst Community Prep, for Berkeley Arts Magnet, for San Leandro High, my chorus music, my poetry samples. I recycled old papers, filed copies for next year, wrote final reports.

So many times in life we do this. Pack up, finish up, shut the door, say goodbye. I remember at the age of 21 loading my used old Turtle-back Volvo, as I said good- bye to my parents and the East Coast and moved to my new job as a news reporter in Chicago. Not for the first time or the last, I felt the sadness of ending a chapter of my life and the excitement of a new beginning.

On June 30 I will finish a 21-year chapter as founding Artistic Director of Opera Piccola. I will work for Opera Piccola as consultant and teaching artist, but no longer as Artistic Director. Founders usually let go leadership at some point so that their organizations can move into a new future. The challenges of a changed global economy make this an excellent time for me to exit Opera Piccola's stage so that new leadership can bring on exciting new directions.

Opera Piccola will continue to provide ArtGate, the award winning arts education program in the public schools, directed by Corrina Marshall and Candace Workman. I will be presenting Opera Piccola's multicultural Community Performance shows separately, under a new name: SWEET Theater; Susannah Wood Education Express Theater.

Endings and beginnings. The seasons turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment