Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Final Post - I think

The end of E.B. White's "Stuart Little" has a thought that's stuck with me for a long time. Every goodbye is a hello. A year ago at about this time in June, I learned that the company I founded could not afford my position as Artistic Director due to the economic crisis.

Since then, I've explored the worlds of unemployment insurance, career centers, resume revising, job sites, online jobs, certificate programs, substitute teaching credentials, etc. True to the news accounts, people my age who are laid off are finding it hard to start over in the job market. Growing up a baby boomer in a family without a TV until I was 13 years old, I like real - not electronic - books, and I check facebook only once a week. The innards of the computer are as mysterious to me as quantum physics.

Nevertheless, I'm grateful for a year to try new things. At my age (if I hear one more person say,"at your age, Susannah", I have a chance to.... and... mmpf.. what was it.. I had an idea but .. Sorry. whatever it was, slipped my mind. Stop. I know what you're thinking.

Never mind. To sum up the unemployed year: I worked on 3 or 4 book projects (who isn't a writer?), received certification as a Jazzercise instructor, taught a chorus/voice class at Oakland Technical High, and collaborated on creating a memoir play with Gina Gold of theginagoldshow.com. Thinking about selling my fruit pies on the street corner.

To get back to the beginning - or ending -- I'll be using a different blog address in order to write about arts, education, baby boomers, politics, religion, trends, and ... ?

My new blog address: http://susannahwood.wordpress.com Goodbye and hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment